Maintenance and use of service barrels
When using one of our small casks (1 to 3 liter) for serving you should be aware of the following:
Prior to use:
1. Begin by rinsing the barrel out with cold water until the water runs clear. (there may remain a little sawdust, etc. inside the barrel).
2. Fill the barrel with cold water and let stand until completely watertight.
3. When the barrel is watertight, empty it of water.
4. Lay the barrel bunghole downwards and allow it to dry completely if you don?t need to use it immediately.
5. Fill the barrel with the wine, beer, juice, etc. that you want to serve.
Life span in barrel:
Regardless whether it's wine, beer, apple juice or other liquid in the barrel, its freshness and corresponding shelf life is considerably reduced when you first begin to tap from the barrel. Shelf life can vary from 1-2 days to several weeks, depending on the quality of the wine or the beer. If the barrel is always completely full, it can hold for a very long period, but this, in turn, depends on the quality of the liquid.
Note that the liquid will take more and more flavor from the oak. Remember to replenish the "angels' share" (a little liquid is always lost through evaporation).
After use, follow steps 1-4 above.